Saturday, June 1, 2013

Did the plague desensitize death?

In the novel plague, we continuously see people going about their daily life to life routines. Although so many around them are dying and eventually they are even quarantined off, you see the behavior that none of this is going on often within the book. Which lead my group to ask the question, is death desensitized by the plague? I would have to answer yes to this question. I think that any time there is tragedy in abundance it is hard to be empathetic and sympathetic to every single death. For example, when I read this book, it put me in the mind of how Chicago is. Literally, every single day there is another murder if not more in Chicago. We see it, sometimes we may comment on how sad it is, but we keep moving on with our lives. We keep living. Gun Violence in Chicago is very much  so like the Plague. I feel that it's safe to say that while a lot of us have been affected by gun violence in Chicago we are becoming desensitized to the large numbers at which people, especially our youth, are being killed. I also would make the assumption that this is true for every society that is experiencing death on a large scale, including the people being affected by the Plague.

No comments:

Post a Comment